Memory errors with large zip files

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Mon May 23 16:09:32 EDT 2005

On 23 May 2005 09:28:15 -0700, "Marcus Lowland" <mcdesigns at walla.com>
wrote:

>Thank for the detailed reply John! I guess it turned out to be a bit
>tougher than I originally thought :-)....
>
>Reading over your links, I think I better not attempt rewriting the
>zipfile.py program... a little over my head :-). The best solution,
>from everything I read seems to be calling an unzipper program from a
>subprocess. I assume you mean using execfile()? I can't think of
>another way.

Errrmmmm ... no, execfile runs a Python source file.

Check out the subprocess module:

"""
6.8 subprocess -- Subprocess management

New in version 2.4.

The subprocess module allows you to spawn new processes, connect to
their input/output/error pipes, and obtain their return codes. This
module intends to replace several other, older modules and functions,
such as:

os.system
os.spawn*
os.popen*