Case Sensitive, Multiline Comments

Elliot Temple curi at curi.us
Sun May 29 15:05:43 EDT 2005

On May 29, 2005, at 11:44 AM, Arthur wrote:

> On 26 May 2005 17:33:33 -0700, "Elliot Temple" <curi42 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Thanks for the link on case sensitivity.  I'm curious about the
>> person
>> who found case sensitivity useful though: what is it useful for?
>>

> I am curious about why you find case sensitivity annoying.  But just
> mildly curious.

I'm glad you asked ;-)

Case insensitivity gives you more choice about how to type keywords
that you have no control over.  if or If.  for or For.  i don't think
being inconsistent within a single program is a good idea, but having
your choice of which to do is nice.  I personally think all lowercase
is good, but some languages have capitalised keywords, so apparently
other people prefer that.

I don't think the "case sensitivity hurts beginners" argument is
persuasive.  Anyone who seriously wants to program can look up the
correct capitalisation of everything.  *If* having to look up or keep
track of capitalisation is annoying, *then* that argument applies to
experienced programmers (who are devoting memory to the issue) just
as much as beginners.

-- Elliot Temple
http://www.curi.us/

---