Is Python suitable for a huge, enterprise size app?

keirr keir.robinson at gmail.com
Wed May 18 12:05:25 EDT 2005

> So, given the very general requirements in the first paragraph, do
you
> think that Python could handle it?  If anyone has direct experience
> developing large apps in Python, I would appreciate your insight.

I wouldn't, especially[1] if your thousands of business objects get
allocated/deallocated as the system runs.  Currently python's memory
usage can grow rapidly (from the perspective of the o/s) when large
numbers of objects are repeatedly created and freed.

On the other hand, you could use a combination of python and C++
(perhaps using boost's python wrapping code).  The ability to create
C/C++ modules is a "get out of jail free card" - if you did manage to
convince your company to go with python, and it fell short in some
area, a custom C module could be a handy trick.

Perhaps you could compare your project to existing large python
projects; like Zope maybe?

[1] if the objects in the system are static, rather than dynamic, of
course this is not an issue.  My "I wouldn't" comes from the fact that
your requirements include "lots of object" as a feature, and no word on
how they will be used.

Good luck anyway :-)
 Keir.