Is Python suitable for a huge, enterprise size app?

Jack Diederich jack at performancedrivers.com
Wed May 18 16:47:20 EDT 2005

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 08:37:00AM -0700, john67 wrote:
> The company I work for is about to embark on developing a commercial
> application that will cost us tens-of-millions to develop.  When all is
> said and done it will have thousands of  business objects/classes, some
> of which will have hundreds-of-thousands of instances stored in a DB.
> Our clients will probably have somewhere between 50-200 users working
> on the app during the day, possibly in mutiple offices, and then a
> large number of batch processes will have to run each night.  It will
> also need to have a web interface for certain users.  It needs to be
> robust, easy to maintain, and able to be customized for each client.
[snip]

The technical specifications seem OK, these aren't language constraints
in python more than any other language.  The people constraints...

Tens of millions to develop?  Whoa - it is easy for me to predict absolute
and complete failure right off the bat no matter the language (but only
after incurring cost overruns).  If your head is anywhere near the chopping
block I suggest proffering a "proof of concept" version first.  If you
can't do a first version in six months with a team of six people it is a sign
that you don't really know what you want.  The final version might be
bigger and have more features - but 10M of features is pie in the sky stuff.
Everyone involved must have wild dreams about how awesome the final version
will be, and all those dreams diverge.

Ten million is ten guys writing for two years (top notch at US prices) to come
up with a product from sratch.  Tens of millions is?  Best of luck.

-jackdied