hard memory limits

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri May 6 14:27:09 EDT 2005

James Stroud wrote:

> > does Mac OS X ship with memory limits set by default?  isn't that
> > a single-user system?
>
> Dear original poster or whoever is interested in OS X:
>
> OS X is not a single user system. It is BSD based unix. And its fv at king
> sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet! (Though I'm using only Linux right now :o/

Well, Apple's marketing materials contain no signs whatsoever that the
systems Apple sells are designed for massive numbers of users, compared
to systems from RedHat, Sun, HP, etc.  (if you look at apple.com in this
very moment, it talks a lot about "your mac" and "your desktop" and "your
computer", not "the mac/desktop/computer you share with hundreds of
other users").

So why would Apple insist on setting unusably low process limits, when
the others don't?

</F>