Case Sensitive, Multiline Comments

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon May 30 21:37:06 EDT 2005

Benji York wrote:
> Roel Schroeven wrote:
>  > You haven't looked very well though: there are actually quite a lot
>  > of extra spaces. Still, it's nicely done indeed.
>
> Hmm.  I only saw doubled spaces after commas and periods.  That's
> fairly standard practice, for the periods at least.  I don't know
> if people regularly put two spaces after commas though.  I know I
> don't.  I did spot a couple of extra quotation marks, but I guess
> I can give him those. :)

Doubled spaces after commas are definitely not standard usage.

Doubled spaces after periods are fairly common (a holdover from
fixed-pitch typewriters, as I recall, where the period itself takes up a
full character width and so needs doubled space after it to make the
sentence breaks more noticeable).

Inconsistent use of doubled spaces after periods, however, is a sign of
a smart justification algorithm.  <wink>

-Peter