Twisted an several CPUs

Jp Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Thu May 19 13:33:19 EDT 2005

On Thu, 19 May 2005 17:22:31 +0200, Thomas Guettler <guettli at thomas-guettler.de> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Out of sheer curiosity:
>
>Does Twisted scale if the server has several CPUs?

  No more than any other single-process Python application (no less, either).  Unless you run multiple processes...

>As far as I know twisted uses one interpreter. This
>means a prefork server modul might be better to
>server database driven web-apps.

  Why does it mean that?  Your database is already running in a separate process, right?  So there's SMP exploitation right there, regardless of whether your Python process is running with Twisted or anything else.

>Has anyone experience high load and twisted?

  Distributing load across multiple machines scales better than distributing it over multiple CPUs in a single machine.  If you have serious scalability requirements, SMP is a minor step in the wrong direction (unless you're talking about something like 128-way SMP on a supercomputer :)

  Plus, any solution that works across multiple machines is likely to be trivially adaptable to work across multiple CPUs on a single machine, so when your desktop has a 128-way cell processor in it, you'll still be able to take advantage of it :)

  Jp