SSL (HTTPS) with 2.4

Andrew Bushnell awb at fluent.com
Thu May 19 10:31:16 EDT 2005

I am interested in any further progress with this, you may have made? I
am facing a similar issue. In short, I need to connect to a https site
(in this case a WSDL) that I need to access through an Http proxy. I
have tried various things to no avail. I did find a couple recipes on
the ASPN python cookbook that talk about tunneling via a "CONNECT"
request is what I believe I need to do. The recipes are:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/301740

this particular example establishes the proxy connection and then issues
the connect request to establish the connection to the https site, then
tries to establish an SSL Socket connection to the proxy then talk
through it to get the data from the https via the proxy, I get the same
EOF error when I run this sample with our proxy..

The other recipe I looked at was:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/213238

This is a tunneling mechanism. When I try this, I basically get
"nowhere" in other words, the get request never gets picked up by the
various socket/servers setup to do the tunneling and it just loops
around seemingly forever..

I am running on Windows XP if that matters.

Of course, Mozilla and I.E. work fine accessing the https site in
question via our proxy. In short, I simply need to connect to a http
proxy and through it get at a url which is an https. I do not need any
user name or password etc. to get to the site. The standard Python
libraries fail as the "GET" request through the proxy is dismissed as a
bad request.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

- Andrew Bushnell

--