SSL (HTTPS) with 2.4

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed May 18 13:30:43 EDT 2005

Bloke wrote:
> Following my above comment, if my script works with http, then what is
> the problem with https, even when I change the ProxyHandler to specify
> https?

I believe there is a bug in the https implementations of certain Web
services, in particular the Microsoft-ish ones. They are supposed to
send a message to close the connection, but fail to do so. Instead,
they eventually shut down the connection (without sending a
CloseConnection message first).

So part of the problem is that your web server, in violation of the
protocol, just drops the connection.

The other question is why there is a period of inactivity. This, again,
may be the result of a misunderstanding in the protocol implementations,
of which the first problem is only a side effect (i.e. the server might
close the connection because of the inactivity).

This typically means that either side is expecting the other one to send
a message, but both sides fail to do so. Which one specifically is buggy
can only be determined by studying the messages sent back and forth in
more detail.

As a wild guess: try not to use HTTP/1.1, use HTTP/1.0 instead. To do
so, try not using urllib, use httplib directly.

Regards,
Martin