pyvm -- faster python

Stelios Xanthakis sxanth at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed May 11 06:05:58 EDT 2005

Paul Rubin wrote:

> I hope that PyPy will replace CPython once it's solid enough.  Trying
> to stay backwards compatible with the legacy C API doesn't seem to me
> to be that important a goal.  Redoing the library may take more work
> than the Prothon guy was willing to do for Prothon, but PyPy has more
> community interest and maybe can attract more resources.

I didn't know much about PyPy.  It seems that pyvm is *exactly* what
pypy needs to boost its performance.  Does pypy has the vm in python
as well?  Does pypy have a compiler that produces 2.4 bytecodes?

I think the next step in speeding up python (not that it's slow, I'm
in the group of people that don't think Python is slow), is the AST
compiler.  An AST compiler for CPython is in the works AFAIK, but it
would be more powerful in written in python.  It would be also easy
to have 'alternative' compilers that, for example are not whitespace
sensitive, or the code looks like perl :), but they all produce python
bytecode.

Stelios