compare two voices

M.E.Farmer mefjr75 at hotmail.com
Sun May 1 17:18:44 EDT 2005

Qiangning Hong wrote:
> I want to make an app to help students study foreign language.  I
want
> the following function in it:
>
> The student reads a piece of text to the microphone. The software
> records it and compares it to the wave-file pre-recorded by the
> teacher, and gives out a score to indicate the similarity between
them.

> This function will help the students pronounce properly, I think.
>
> Is there an existing library (C or Python) to do this?  Or if someone
> can guide me to a ready-to-implement algorithm?

As others have noted this is a difficult problem.
This library was developed to study speech and should be worth a look:
http://www.speech.kth.se/snack/
"""
 Using Snack you can create powerful multi-platform audio applications
with just a few lines of code. Snack has commands for basic sound
handling, such as playback, recording, file and socket I/O. Snack also
provides primitives for sound visualization, e.g. waveforms and
spectrograms. It was developed mainly to handle digital recordings of
speech, but is just as useful for general audio. Snack has also
successfully been applied to other one-dimensional signals.
"""
Be sure to check out the examples.

Might be worth a look:
http://www.speech.kth.se/projects/speech_projects.html
http://www.speech.kth.se/cost250/

You might also have luck with Windows using Microsoft Speech SDK ( it
is huge ).
Combined with Python scrtiptng you can go far.

hth,
M.E.Farmer