My personal candidate for QOTW (was: Python interpreter in Basic or a Python-2-Basic translator.)

Lee Cullens lee_cullens at mac.com
Sun May 1 18:24:19 EDT 2005

> From: Leif Biberg Kristensen <junkmail2 at solumslekt.org>
> Date: May 1, 2005 2:13:43 PM EDT
> To: python-list at python.org
> Subject: Re: My personal candidate for QOTW (was: Python interpreter
> in Basic or a Python-2-Basic translator.)
>

> Cameron Laird skrev:
>
>> In article <1114953507.031865.244920 at g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>> Engineer <pcolsen at comcast.net> wrote:
>> .
>> .
>> .
>>> The security 'droids have decided that since the MS Office Suite is a
>>> "standard" application then software written in MS Office VBA must be
>>> "safe."  Any other development environments (such as Java, Perl,
>> .
>> .
>> .
>
> This is clear evidence supporting the theory that being in charge of
> security and being able to think have no significant correlation.
>
> And, yes: +1 QOTW from me, too.
> --
> Leif Biberg Kristensen

I see it every day.  The "hangers-on" have too much invested in the MS
quagmire to consider anything else.  It's a political thing, and yes
yet another example of Plato's "Allegory of the Cave."  For example, a
major financial institution offers their active trader application on
Windows only, citing "security" considerations.  Stamping the MS Office
Suite and VBA a standard is reminiscent of HR department policy - of
course you know what floats to the top in corporate (as well as
government) ranks.

QOTW? Only for lack of anything more original (no disrespect intended
:~)

Lee C
"God save us from those that would save us"  -- my grandmother c1945

PS: Though I stick with mostly Unix anymore, I do know there are
"software engineers" valiantly employing Python (in their toolbag) in
the MS environment.