Case Sensitive, Multiline Comments

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun May 29 22:05:04 EDT 2005

In article <z5adnQMsOLiL7AffRVn-hQ at comcast.com>, D H <a at b.c> wrote:

> Elliot Temple wrote:
> > Hi I have two questions.  Could someone explain to me why Python is
> > case sensitive?  I find that annoying.
>
> I do too.  As you've found, the only reason is because it is, and it is
> too late to change (it was even too late back in 1999 when it was
> considered by Guido).  I guess the most popular case-insensitive
> language nowadays is visual basic (and VB.NET).
>
>  > Also, why aren't there
> > multiline comments?  Would adding them cause a problem of some sort?
>
> Again, just because there aren't and never were.  There is no technical
> reason (like for example a parsing conflict) why they wouldn't work in
> python.  That's why most python editors have added a comment section
> command that prepends # to consecutive lines for you.

If it really bothers you that there's no multi-line comments, you could
always use triple-quoted strings.

I actually don't like multi-line comments.  They're really just syntactic
sugar, and when abused, they can make code very difficult to understand.
Just wait until the day you're trying to figure out why some C++ function
is behaving the way it is and you don't notice that a 50-line stretch of
code is commented out with /* at the top and */ at the bottom.