first release of PyPy

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Sat May 21 01:31:00 EDT 2005

Christian Tismer wrote:
> beliavsky at aol.com wrote:
>
> > Kay Schluehr wrote:

> >>Congratulation to You and Your team!
> >>
> >>PyPy is really awesome and if it succeeds in speed demands after
the
> >>translation phase I believe that the project will shift the power
> >>within the Python community on the long run.
> >

> > Could you please explain this statement? Who will gain power, and
who
> > will lose it?
>
> The Python community will gain power, and nobody will loose some.
> The big win is that we gain a new flexibility that did not
> exist before, even if PyPy should completely miss its speed
> promises. Having an extremely flexible implementation in a
> very high-level language (which happens to be Python) enables
> possibilities which have not been seen, before.

But not only flexibility IN the current language but also beyond it.
It's not anymore clear what the language as a set of well-defined
syntactical and semantical rules really is if You can change the
semantics in an arbitrary module representing an object-space. I
currently don't know how modular the parser is but adding syntax-rules
should not be that hard either. Once You get enough speed out of the
PyPy-runtime and the community shifts to it the PEP-process degenerates
in the view of a PyPythonista to discussions about aspects of the
std-objectspace and language design patterns. There will be some
CPython compliance - that's all.

Empowering the community means beheading the BDFL and that's currently
not only a person but a principle. Well, maybe that's o.k. but at least
inevitable and Guido finally finds the time to clip roses, writes his
memoirs, educates children and polishs his medals of honour.

Regards,
Kay