Threading questions

Antal Rutz arutz at mimoza.pantel.net
Sat May 28 09:37:47 EDT 2005

Hi, All!

I'm new to threading. I have some design questions:
Task: I collect data and store them in an RDBMS (mysql or pgsql)

The question is how to do that with threading?
The data-collecting piece of the code runs in a thread.

1. Open the db, and each thread writes the result immediately.
   (Sub-question: which is better: cursor object passed to the thread
   or stored in a global var.)
2. Threads return data, which is written to DB after that.
3. Threads write to global variable, after 'join()' data is written.
   (Can be used global (write-only) variables with threads at all?)
4. ?...

I think variable locking isn't an issue here because they are write-only.

Maybe I have fundamentaly misunderstood something...

Thanks

--

--arutz