Representing ambiguity in datetime?

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at pauahtun.org
Tue May 17 23:22:00 EDT 2005

Hi All--

Ron Adam wrote:

> John Machin wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 17 May 2005 17:38:30 -0500, Terry Hancock
> > <hancock at anansispaceworks.com> wrote:
> >

> >>What do you do when a date or time is
> >>incompletely specified?

> > The reason the ranges for the month and day specifiers begin
> with zero is that MySQL allows incomplete dates such as
> '2004-00-00' to be stored as of MySQL 3.23.
>
> So it seems using 0's for the missing day or month may be how to do it.

This is somewhat the approach I took in order to allow users to specify
an incomplete Mayan date in order to list possibilities.  But instead of
0 (which is a valid entry in most Mayan date components), I used None.
The web version can be found at

http://www.pauahtun.org/Calendar/tools.html (the "Search for Matching
Dates" button)

The paper describing the incomplete Mayan date tool is at:
http://www.pauahtun.org/python_vuh.html

Metta,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
http://www.andi-holmes.com/
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours