New Python regex Doc (was: Python documentation moronicities)

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Sat May 7 19:56:18 EDT 2005

On Saturday 07 May 2005 04:28 pm, Xah Lee wrote:
> Note: “In other words, the "|" operator is never greedy.”
>
> Note the need to inject the high-brow jargon “greedy” here as a
> latch on sentence.

The first definition of "jargon" in the Collaborative International Dictionary
of English is:

"To utter jargon; to emit confused or unintelligible sounds; to talk
unintelligibly, or in a harsh and noisy manner."

Despite your misuse of the word "jargon", jargon seems to be an area in which
you are carving yourself a niche.

The term "greedy" has a particular meaning in regex, as does the word
"algorithm" in computer science. Take a look at Mastering Regular Expressions
for an exhaustive discussion of the meaning of "greedy" as it applies to
regular expressions. Of course I anticipate that you will confusedly and
unintelligibly bash this book, even though it is quite obvious that you have
yet to read or understand it.

--
James Stroud
Box 951570