Database backend?

Mikkel Høgh mikkel at revelation.dk
Sun May 8 14:09:29 EDT 2005

I am in the progress of laying the groundwork for a small application I
intend to make, and I'd like some expert advice, since this is the first
larger project I've gotten myself into.

First problem is which backend to use for data storage. The application I am
trying to create is a small presentation-program with the sole purpose of
displaying lyrics for songs at smaller concerts.
The system is required to have a database of some kind for storing the
lyrics, and this should most definitely be searchable.
Naturally, I need a backend for this of some sort. I've been thinking of
either XML, or full-blown MySQL.
XML is very versatile, but I wonder if it is fast enough to handle lyrics
for, say, 1000 songs - and then I would need to come up with some kind of
indexing-algorithm. MySQL on the other hand, requires a lot of effort and
adds to the complication of the installation.

Honestly, I have a hard time making my mind up. Also, there might be other
possibilities.

Feedback will be appreciated.