Is Python suitable for a huge, enterprise size app?

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Wed May 18 15:11:14 EDT 2005

john67 wrote:
> Would the allocation/deallocation memory usage issue be different
than
> it would be with Java?  Both Python and Java have automatic garbage
> collection, correct?

In recent Python versions the CPython interpreter offers a
cycle-collector which weakens the most profound counter argument
against reference-counting techniques.

To answer Your initial question: there is probably no technical reason
against Python as a language or the CPython runtime. Both are very
stable and mature. Extension and optimization techniques are well
understood. The library support is great. I would be more concerned
about the development strategy. Be aware that Python is weak in
defining constraints on interfaces even more than Java ( Javas static
type system makes a bit easier what doesn't mean that static typing is
a really adequate solution for it at all ). There are almost no
declarative elements in the language. You have somehow to think about
communicating contracts between different developers across the team.
Elements of lightweight methodologys like continous integration and
early unit-testing are mandatory, not optional. Be also aware that
there are no IDEs / GUI-builders and UML-designers which are comparable
to those for Java or dotNET. You won't come as close to a group
consensus as if You would stick to VisualStudio7 for C#, or
IDEA/Eclipse for Java.

Regards,
Kay