What are OOP's Jargons and Complexities?

Pascal Costanza pc at p-cos.net
Thu May 26 03:33:04 EDT 2005

alex goldman wrote:
> John McGrath wrote:
>
>>Unfortunately, there is no
>>consensus as to what the term means.
>
> If the language allows the programmer to write programs from the 'slack'
> domain, by saying "just trust me on this", then it's not strongly typed.
>
> What other meanings are there? I wasn't aware of the lack of consensus.

There is a difference between getting a core dump when you invoke
undefined behavior on some object, or just getting an exception. You can
programmatically react to an exception to do something meaningful but
not to a core dump. Some people use the term weak typing to refer to
languages that potentially core dump whereas they use the term strong
typing for languages that don't.

Pascal

--
2nd European Lisp and Scheme Workshop
July 26 - Glasgow, Scotland - co-located with ECOOP 2005