Encryption with Python?

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou tzot at sil-tec.gr
Fri May 27 05:52:30 EDT 2005

On 26 May 2005 14:45:28 -0700, rumours say that Paul Rubin
<http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> might have written:

>> That's all.  I see you took up the challenge and indirectly replied to
>> my last question, and in good spirit I say you earned a little respect
>> from me, at least for standing up to your words.  Now I hope no-one
>> gives a try to your data (for your own sake :)

>I don't think the challenge was really accepted.  The algorithm
>changed between when you issued the challenge, and when the sensitive
>data went up.  A good algorithm doesn't need to change depending on
>the data.  I agree with the poster who said that the strength of
>either one of the algorithms is irrelevant, if the keyspace is just 32
>bits.

You are correct; the algorithm changed, and the OP admitted it himself
in the post with the encrypted credit card data.

However, on a practical level: before posting, I did a quick comparison,
and the only effective change to OP's algorithm was a the addition of a
`random.shuffle(sequence)', which AFAIU has no practical consequences as
to whether his algorithm is unbreakable or not.

I could say that "hey, you changed the algorithm, and that means your
previous declaration of unbreakability wasn't." but honestly I was
overwhelmed by the audacity (and foolishness, if these are truly his
credit card data) of Frederic.

ObSF: DNA; The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe; Marvin the
paranoid android faces a gigantic black tank in the H2G2 HQ.
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best.