Does Python have a Template::Extract equivalent from Perl's CPAN

mbbx6spp at gmail.com mbbx6spp at gmail.com
Fri May 27 13:44:01 EDT 2005

Hi All,

I already searched this newsgroup and google groups to see if I could
find a Python equivalent to Perl's Template::Extract, but didn't find
anything leading to a Python module that had similar functionality.  I
am a big fan of Python as an OO language and use it for many system
admin utilities, webdev and even MS Excel AddIn development, but I have
found that Perl's Template::Extract is so invaluable to my web scraping
utilities that I can not migrate this very old code base over to Python
yet since there is nothing that I can easily port it over to without
making my web scrapers very brittle to website redesigns.  I while I
think Perl is a wonderful language in its own right I would rather just
code more of my codebase in Python than Perl to make my coding more
efficient.

If anyone knows of a Python module that has the same features of
Template::Extract please let me (and maybe the group) know.  If nobody
is not aware of any module, I would be interested in developing one for
the Python public.  Please let me know if anyone else is interested and
I can setup a sf.net project to get this rolling (unless anyone knows
of an sf.net like website that offers Subversion instead of CVS?).

Thanks!