PyGame and Rotozoom (Sorry if OT)

J. W. McCall jmccall at houston.rr.com
Fri May 20 02:45:18 EDT 2005

I'm not sure if this is off-topic, since it doesn't deal with Python
itself, but here goes:

I'm messing around with writing a simple "game" where the player (a
crudely drawn smiley face) moves by rotating and moving back or forward
(think Resident Evil, but from an always-above view).  After much
hacking, I have it working where left and right rotate the player sprite
and up always moves the sprite whichever direction it's facing, while
down is reverse.  I'm using pygame.transform.RotoZoom().

My problem is that it doesn't rotate smoothly.  When it rotates, the
corners of the image (just a plain white background) look like they're
hitting some barrier and making it move around.  Think of an empty box
turned diagonally (so that it looks like a diamond, with its open end
facing you), and a cube in that box being turned while it's resting in
the bottom corner.  I want it to rotate smoothly around its center, it's
it's not doing that.

I'm guessing that it has something to do with me not setting up a Rect
right, but I'm not sure.  Maybe this is a limitation of Rotozoom/Rotate?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  And yes, I'm a rank PyGame newbie.

Thanks,

J. W. McCall