IRIX MipsPro compiler chokes on Python.h

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Wed May 25 06:43:39 EDT 2005

Bram Stolk wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I just built and installed Python-2.4.1 on my Irix machine.
> My compiler, the MipsPro compiler, chokes on the Python.h include file,
> as demonstrated here:
>

> $ CC -v
> MIPSpro Compilers: Version 7.41
> $ python -V
> Python 2.4.1
> $ cat l.cxx
> #include <Python.h>
>
> int main()
> {
>    return 0;
> }
>
> $ CC -I $HOME/include/python2.4 l.cxx
> cc-1311 CC: ERROR File = /usr/include/sys/time.h, Line = 186
>    The indicated linkage specification is incompatible with previous "select"
>            (declared at line 479 of "/usr/include/unistd.h").
>
>    static int select(
>               ^
>
> 1 error detected in the compilation of "l.cxx".
>
> Has anyone experienced the same?
> How do I solve this?

My suspicion would be directed to a #define that is incorrect, as the
snippet above suggests that select() appears in two system headers
(/usr/include/sys/time.h & /usr/include/unistd.h).

That is ./configure got something wrong and may need to be modified for
your platform to sort this out properly, but modifying pyconfig.h to
correct the incorrect definitions should get you out of trouble.