MRO problems with diamond inheritance?

M.E.Farmer mefjr75 at hotmail.com
Mon May 2 08:01:31 EDT 2005

Michele Simionato wrote:
> M.E. Farmer:
>
> >You would be surprised how many answers you can squeeze out of that
> one
> >URL.
> >That whole page is worth a month of study( for me anyway ).
>
> One month only? You must be pretty smart, one could easily extract
> a book from that page ;)
No, I was being 'conservative'.
I am not as smart as the fellow that wrote that MRO paper ;)
Honestly, I have had that bookmarked for years...
There are some deep conceps on that page and I have not had a 'use
case' for most of them.
I would gladly welcome the book, you gonna write it!?
Something that covers ( with lots of 'real-life' examples ):
 classes ( I see a lot of questions on c.l.py about basic class use )
 special methods and class customization ( putting classes to work )
 metaclasses ( what they are and when you might need them )
 inheritance ( covering all flavors subclassing,mixin,etc.. )
 descriptors ( what are they and why you should care )
 types ( creating new ones, subclassing old ones, etc... )
 old style / newstyle gotchas for classes / metaclasses
 and maybe a few pages on decorators.

It is all well and good to have advanced OO in the language,
but it would be better if there was a 'reason' for it all.

> >I am still trying to grasp the 'purpose' of classmethods.
>
> In my personal opinion classmethods and staticmethods could (and
> possibly
> should) be removed from the language; a part for that consideration,
> the typical
> use for classmethods is as object factories, to provide alternative
> constructors.
>
>            Michele Simionato

Thank you, I had a feeling that it was just extra fluff.
But I felt/feel that way about list comprehensions and decorators too
;)
M.E.Farmer