MySQLdb and Unicode

deelan ggg at zzz.it
Fri May 20 03:53:43 EDT 2005

Achim Domma (Procoders) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I try to write unicode strings to a MySQL database via MySQLdb.
> According to the documentation I should pass 'utf-8' as keyword
> parameter to the connect method. But then I get the following error:

(...)

> I'm using version 1.2 of MySQLdb. Any hint what I'm doing wrong?

this is changed in 1.2, from the Connection class docstring:

"use_unicode"

''If True, text-like columns are returned as unicode objects
using the connection's character set.  Otherwise, text-like
columns are returned as strings.  columns are returned as
normal strings. Unicode objects will always be encoded to
the connection's character set regardless of this setting.''

--
@prefix foaf: <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/> .
<#me> a foaf:Person ; foaf:nick "deelan" ;