Shift-JIS to UTF-8 conversion

George Yoshida ml at dynkin.com
Fri May 20 03:18:16 EDT 2005

PyTJ wrote:

> I need to convert a Japanese Shift-JIS CSV file to Unicode UTF-8.
>
> My machine is a Windows 98 english computer with Python 2.3.4
>
> Any hints?.

First, you need to install codecs to support japanese encodings.
Python 2.3.* does not support SJIS by default.

I'll give you two options.

- Japanese Codecs
   http://www.python.jp/Zope/download/JapaneseCodecs

http://ftp.python.jp/pub/JapaneseCodecs/JapaneseCodecs-1.4.10.win32-py2.3.exe

- CJKCodecs
   http://cjkpython.i18n.org/
   http://download.berlios.de/cjkpython/cjkcodecs-1.1.win32-py2.3.exe

If you only need Japanese support, Japanese Codecs might be handy.
On the other hand, CJKCodecs can handle much broader encodings.
Aside from that, starting from 2.4, Python ships with CJKCodecs,
so I'd recomment CJKCodecs without reservations.

-- george