write to the same file from multiple processes at the same time?

Jp Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Fri May 27 18:30:32 EDT 2005

On 27 May 2005 15:22:17 -0700, Paul Rubin <"http://phr.cx"@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>Jp Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> writes:
>> >Oh, ok.  But what kind of locks does it use?
>>
>> It doesn't really matter, does it?
>
>Huh?  Sure, if there's some simple way to accomplish the locking, the
>OP's act can do the same thing without SQlite's complexity.
>
>> I'm sure the locking mechanisms it uses have changed between
>> different releases, and may even be selected based on the platform
>> being used.
>
>Well, yes, but WHAT ARE THEY??????

Beats me, and I'm certainly not going to dig through the code to find out :)  For the OP's purposes, the mechanism I mentioned earlier in this thread is almost certainly adequate.  To briefly re-summarize, when you want to acquire a lock, attempt to create a directory with a well-known name.  When you are done with it, delete the directory.  This works across all platforms and filesystems likely to be encountered by a Python program.

Jp