NaN support etc.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed May 18 16:12:00 EDT 2005

Andreas Beyer wrote:
> How do I find out if NaN, infinity and alike is supported on the current
> python platform?

To rephrase Sebastian's (correct) answer: by

1. studying the documentation of the CPU vendor
2. studying the documentation of the compiler vendor, and performing
   extensive tests on how the compiler deals with IEEE-754
3. studying the documentation of the system's C library, reading
   its source code (if available), and performing extensive tests
   of the IEEE-754 support in the C libray
4. studying Python's source code (you can spare yourself reading
   documentation because there is none)

> Is there an 'official' handle for obtaining this information?

No.

> Similar: How do I get the maximum/minimum double for current machine?

By experimentation, and/or reading vendor documentation.

Regards,
Martin