hard memory limits

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri May 6 18:36:14 EDT 2005

Mike Meyer wrote:

> > So why would Apple insist on setting unusably low process limits, when
> > the others don't?
>
> You're making an unwarranted assumption here - that the OP wasn't
> creating a large process of some kind.

You need a special license to create large processes on a Mac?

I clicked on the google link that Bill posted, and noted that it wasn't
exactly something that only affected a single Python user.  If some-
thing causes problems for many different applications that run fine
on other Unix systems, it's pretty obvious that the default OS X con-
figuration isn't quite as Unixy as one would expect.

> FWIW, OS X has a Mach kernel. The failing vm_malloc call listed in the
> OP is a Mach call, not a Unix call.

So has tru64.  I've done some serious Python stuff on that platform
(stuff that included some really large processes ;-), and I never had
any allocation problems.  But of course, that system was designed
by DEC people...

</F>