Checking for a full house

mwdsmith reallarryboy at yahoo.com
Wed May 25 21:43:44 EDT 2005

Hi, I'm new to python, and I'm not sure if this is the place to post
this kind of question; so feel free to tell me if I should take this
elsewhere.

So, to start me off on python, I decided to put together a little
script to test the probabilities of rolling certain combinations of
dice.  Below is my code for checking for a full house (when rolling
with 5 dice).  A roll is a list, eg [1, 3, 5, 1, 4] (this example is
not a full house)

def removeAll(element, num2Rem, list):
    l = list[:]
    for num in range(0, num2Rem):
        l.remove(element)
    return l

def isfullHouse(roll):
    for die in range(1,7):
        if roll.count(die)==3:
            l = removeAll(die, 3, roll)
            if l[0]==l[1]:
                return 1
    return 0

My questions is this: is there a better way to do this?  A way that's
more natural to python, or just more efficient perhaps?

ps. A roll of [1, 2, 1, 1, 2] is a full house (three of one kind and
two of another)