pyvm -- faster python

Stelios Xanthakis sxanth at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed May 25 20:12:54 EDT 2005

Hi Michael

[...]
> Releasing open source means that people *may* fix their own bugs, or
> abandon the code.
[...]

I agree with all the points made.

Moreover let me add that "code is one expression of a set of good
ideas", and ideas want to be free!  ;)

I've decided to release the source code of pyvm as soon as it's ready.

Right now *it doesn't* make much sense to give the source because it is
still at an early development stage.  Even if I did and people sent
patches they wouldn't apply because I still make big changes to the
architecture of it.  I'd like to keep it in this status where I can
modify the structure of the program until it becomes really
developer-friendly.  And IMO it doesn't make sense to release incomplete
open source projects: either give something that's good and people can
happily hack, or don't do it at all.  Giving out the source of an
unstable project will most likely harm it (see CherryOS incidents).

The bottomline is that I estimate that pyvm will be ready within
the summer.

Thanks,

Stelios