Newbie : checking semantics

elbertlev at hotmail.com elbertlev at hotmail.com
Sat May 7 23:25:29 EDT 2005

> I am new to python and was very enthustic about its possibilities
when
> I discover that python is really what it is : just a scripting
> language.
> The fact that python doesn't check if the symbol ... is defined, is
really bad ...

1. For a language like Python full static checking is IMPOSSIBLE.
Consider setattr() with attribute name read from a file (f.e. names of
the "columns" in the database).

2. Trust me (and other Python programmers most likely would agree) this
type of error happens much more seldom then newbies (especially coming
from strongly typed languages) imagine while adjusting to the language.

3. Python advantages "overpower" drawbacks 10 to 1.

4. Most likely you never used Fortran :)