__getattribute__ and __getattr__

Gigi gigi-s at bigfoot.com
Mon May 30 04:52:28 EDT 2005

Terry Reedy wrote:
> "Gigi" <gigi-s at bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> news:d7dgd4$29v$1 at sea.gmane.org...
>
>>Hi,
>>In the Python documentation regarding __getattribute__ (more attribute
>>access for new style classes) it is mentioned that if __getattribute__
>>is defined __getattr__ will never be called (unless called explicitely).
>>Here is the exact citation:
>

> Discrepancy reported in
>
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=105470&aid=1204734&group_id=5470
>
> Guido declared behavior right and doc wrong and in need of correction.
>
> Terry J. Reedy

Thanks for your reply. It definitely clears the issue. I'm writing an
article to Dr. Dobbs about the Python object model and I wouldn't want
to be inaccurate. I fill a little like Leibnitz :-) . It's a curious
coincidence that two separate people notice the same documentation issue
that lingere for such a long time in such a short time span.

Thanks, Gigi