lists in cx_Oracle

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue May 3 06:49:16 EDT 2005

Andrew Dalke wrote:
> Steve Holden wrote:
>
>>Do you think this is a DB-API 3-ish kind of a thing, or would it layer
>>over DB-API 2 in a relatively platform-independent manner?

>>but-you-may-know-better-ly y'rs  - steve
>

> I am a tyro at this.  I had to find some tutorials on SQL
> to learn there even was an IN clause for the WHERE statement.
> All told I've had about 1 hour experience using DB-API 2.
>
> I thought this would be a common enough need that others
> would have chimed in by now saying "oh yes, you just need
> to XYZ" where XYZ is something cleaner than "make a new
> string to execute".

I seem to remember from a good while back that there have *been*
database (perhaps even specifically Oracle) interface modules that
supported a set-style interface in ways similar to your stated
requirements, but alas it's a long time ago and the details are dim.

Given that we now have a Decimal type, allowing us to fulfil an
outstanding DB API wish list item, maybe it's time for DB API 3. Anyone?

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC             http://www.holdenweb.com/