Newbie python design question

Michael slick_mick_00 at hotmail.com
Sun May 22 07:26:03 EDT 2005

Hi,
I'm trying to write a script to parse a .cpp file and begin to create a
'translational unit'.
To do this i need to:

Go through the file and remove all 'C' comments as
/* Comment 1*/
(can be on multiple lines)

Go through and remove all 'C++' comments, anything between // and '\n' char.

The start at the top, and work the way through, with the following valid
terms:

#include <filename>
#include "filename"
    - copy the contents of filename to this point in the file and continue.

#define X Y
    -Store the term X,Y in DefineDictionary, then later if X is encountered,
substitute Y.

namespace n
{

};
    -a  namespace, can contain classes, functions and sub-namespaces

class c
{

};
    -a class.

If i were to process this in C++, i would create some form of statemachine,
similar to a regex engine... I would just like some ideas on the easiest way
to implment this in python!!

Regards

Mike