Intellisense and the psychology of typing

Jason Gurtz no at noemail.com
Thu May 26 14:39:11 EDT 2005

On 5/26/2005 12:31, andrew.queisser at hp.com wrote:

> 1) Intellisense is really just another crutch that does more harm than
> good?

To me I found the intellisense in VS for C++ was somewhat helpful in my
earliest stage of learning where I had to look up how many args a function
 had.  After a while, I found it more convenient to just keep the VS
language and std lib docs open in another window.  IOW, it started getting
in the way.  Maybe at times it can save some keystrokes but I kept finding
a pattern of start typing something...down arrow...down arrow...down
arrow...down arrow...tab...type args.  Even worse is the situation were
start typing something...downWhoops hit left arrow...hit end...hit
backspace...type last letter....down arrow...etc...tab...etc...

How egregious!?  No thank you; I already use variable names like "myData"
instead of "mD" so extra keystrokes are not that big of a deal  :)

Still I think calling it a crutch might be a bit extreme.  Is a book or
documentation a crutch too?

> 2) Intellisense is really useful but hard to implement well in IDEs for
> dynamic languages?

Maybe for some people and yes.  There was some recent discussion in this
very NG about this WRT vim et al.

Cheers,

~Jason