Case Sensitive, Multiline Comments

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.com
Sun May 29 14:44:30 EDT 2005

On 26 May 2005 17:33:33 -0700, "Elliot Temple" <curi42 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>Thanks for the link on case sensitivity.  I'm curious about the person
>who found case sensitivity useful though: what is it useful for?

I am curious about why you find case sensitivity annoying.  But just
mildly curious.

Martelli can tell you why Guido keeping case sensitivity in Python was
him bowing to the stupidity of the masses.

I have been neutral on the subject except to the extent the impetous
for going case insensitive would be to statisfy the needs - as Guido
uses the word -  "non-programmers".

a) its probably better to design a programming language around the
needs of programmers than around those of non-porgrammers.  that much
always seemed quite obvious to me.

b) it would only help non-programmers who were more comfortable with
case insensitivity but hurt non-progammers more comfortable with case
sensitivity.

That Martelli so strongly favors case insensitivity for his own use,
is one of many indications that this is not an issue that cuts along
the lines of quantity of programming experience..

That much also seemed pretty obvious, but it didn't seem to stop the
folks who wanted case insensitivity from making the non-programmer
accessibility issue paramount. and on the flimiest of evidence.  Those
who prefer sensitivity were anti-accessbility elitists. Damn near
Republicans.

Classic politics.

Thankfully Guido seemed to have lost patience for the whole thing.  I
think the position is pretty much that Python will be case sensitive
becasue it has been case sensitive.

Art