Python Documentation (should be better?)

Christopher J. Bottaro cjbottaro at alumni.cs.utexas.edu
Wed May 11 16:47:11 EDT 2005

rbt wrote:

> Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:
>>

>>>...blah blah blah...
>>

>> Heh, silly me...there is already a huge thread about this...kinda.
>>
>> The intricacies of the computing term "greedy" aside, yes I think the
>> Python
>> documentation should generally be better.  What that means, I have no
>> idea. All I know is that I like PHP's documentation and it should be like
>> that. My question is, why is PHP's documentation so good and Python's
>> mediocre?
>
> Because PHP is such a 'thrown together' and 'bolted-on' language. If it
> didn't have *outstanding* documentation (which it does BTW), no one
> could even begin to understand how they got from a little HTML language
> to a kinda/sorta OO language.
>
> PHP is showing its age... thanks to its docs, it's still *extremely*
> useful.

Exactly!!  See thats what I'm saying.  I _think_ its widely accepted that
PHP has awesome documentation.  And like rbt said, that makes it extremely
useful.  Why can't Python have documentation like that?  The language is
awesome, it just needs documentation of the same quality.

I'm sorry that I have such a hard time giving specific examples and what
not.  All I can do (as of now) is kinda report the vibe I get...which is
completely useless, I know...=)

-- C