New Python regex Doc

Bryan belred at gmail.com
Fri May 6 01:40:34 EDT 2005

Xah Lee wrote:

> Extra point: If the Python command line interface is actually a robust
> application, like so-called IDE e.g. Mathematica front-end, then things
> are very different. In reality, the Python command line interface is a
> fucking toy whose max use is as a simplest calculator and double as a
> chanting novelty for standard coding morons. In practice it isn't even
> suitable as a trial'n'error pad for real-world programing.

i disagree with this 110%.  i write python and jython code everyday at my
company and the python interpreter (or command line interface) is always running
on my computer whether it's from the command prompt, idle, pythonwin, pyshell,
etc..  using the interpreter while you are coding is an invaluable tool and
actually helps speed up software development which is opposite of what was
stated by xah lee.  it allows complete freedom to experiment reducing the amount
of bugs that are in the real product.  it's also useful to use the pywin modules
and experiment with the win32 api interactively, or use the jython interpreter
and experiment with some java api without any compilation step.  i have never
found these interpreters to be anything but very robust and *IT IS SUITABLE* as
trial'n'error pad for real-world programming.  the above comment can possible
only be made by someone who doesn't actually use it for real world programming.

bryan