So many things that need to be decided....

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon May 2 22:37:40 EDT 2005

Heather Stovold wrote:
> Wow - deciding to program in python sure requires a lot of decisions!
>
> So far:
>
> I've decided on python for the programming language.
> I've decided on wxpython for the GUI....
> I've decided on DrPython for the Editor....
>
> I still need to decide on a database........   I've really only used Access,
> and my SQL skills aren't that great.  It would also need to be free....
> Any suggestions??

I'd try sqlite, since you can just install the python extension module
(which brings its own copy of the Windows DLL with it - since you
mention Access I assume you are no stranger to Windows].

> Am I going to need a program/package for a report writer?  or that might
> depend on the database I use?

Generally speaking it would probably be a good idea to make sure that
none of your other software technologies depend too heavily on one
specific database, though this is generic advice which you can ignore to
meet other project goals like "easily portable".

> I've never had to make so many decisions to program in my life, because I've
> generally only had a couple of options, or those options were decided by
> other people.
>
> I really appreciate the help this newsgroup has provided - both for my
> I'll have a million more questions soon!

As Radio Shack are fond of saying, "You've got questions, we've got
answers". Make sure you pass them on. And take Peter Hansen's advice to
get elbow-deep in code.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC             http://www.holdenweb.com/