first release of PyPy

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Mon May 23 13:26:14 EDT 2005

Rocco Moretti wrote:
> Alex Stapleton wrote:
>
>>The question still remains, can it run it's self? ;)

This allready worked in the past, though it doesn't at the moment.

> I think they try, every once in a while, to self host. The only problem
> at this stage of the game is the ~2000x speed slowdown. Using that
> figure, a five second startup time for PyPy on CPython would take about
> 3 hours for PyPy on PyPy on CPython (5s*2000). Running a 1 second (on
> CPython) Python program would take a month and a half for PyPy on PyPy
> on CPython. (1s*2000*2000)
>
> Once they get the speed issue licked, the self hosting problems should
> be no trouble. ;)

Speed isn't even the biggest problem when running PyPy on itself. PyPy
still 'fakes' some objects, e.g. borrows them from the underlying
Python. This is mostly the case for things that have direct access to
the OS, e.g. files. If you run PyPy on PyPy on CPython you try to fake
the faked objects again, which gives trouble. Since we have to handle
faked objects differently in the future anyway we decided that at the
moment it isn't worth the effort to keep the self-hosting working.

Regards,

Carl Friedrich