scripting browsers from Python

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Tue May 31 14:15:25 EDT 2005

"Michele Simionato" <michele.simionato at gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to know what is available for scripting browsers from
> Python.
> For instance, webbrowser.open let me to perform GET requests, but I
> would like
> to do POST requests too. I don't want to use urllib to emulate a
> browser, I am
> interested in checking that browser X really works as intended with my
> application. Any suggestion?

Yes:

http://selenium.thoughtworks.com/index.html

http://agiletesting.blogspot.com/2005/03/web-app-testing-with-python-part-2.html

http://products.actimind.com/actiWATE/

Unfortunately, there's still no free (as in speech) "macro recorder"
implemented as a browser plugin (nor even one implemented on the HTTP
level that can produce output in a form selenium understands, AFAIK).

For some other relevant links, see under "Misc Links" here (and for
that matter, the previous bullet point too):

http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/bits/GeneralFAQ.html

John