What are OOP's Jargons and Complexities?

Tassilo v. Parseval tassilo.von.parseval at rwth-aachen.de
Tue May 24 03:16:02 EDT 2005

Also sprach John W. Kennedy:

> alex goldman wrote:
>> John W. Kennedy wrote:
>>

>>>Strong typing has been a feature of mainstream programming languages
>>>since the late 1950's.
>>
>> I'm just curious, what do you mean by /strong/ typing, and which strongly
>> typed languages do you know?
>
> Unfortunately, I have seen the meaning shift with the context. In Ada
> '83, it means it is not possible to have the equivalent of a C
> unprototyped function, and that mixed-type expressions tend to need
> explicit casting. In other contexts (as here), I've seen it used to mean
> simply that variables have definite types, and it is not possible
> (except by the use of polymorphic classes) for a variable to change from
> an integer to a float to a character string in the course of execution.
> In this sense, compile-to-machine-code languages (ee.g., Fortran, COBOL,
> C, C++, or Pascal), are generally strongly typed

These are statically typed. The extent to which they are also strongly
typed differs: C++ is probably a little more strongly typed than C, but
by and large their typing is still fairly weak.

Most often, languages with strong typing can be found on the functional
front (such as ML and Haskell). These languages have a dynamic typing
system. I haven't yet come across a language that is both statically and
strongly typed, in the strictest sense of the words. I wonder whether
such a language would be usable at all.

Tassilo
--
use bigint;