pyvm -- faster python

Stelios Xanthakis sxanth at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed May 11 06:02:59 EDT 2005

Roger Binns wrote:
>>I am not very interested on C compatibility.
>

> That will rule out all the gui frameworks, SSL, cryptography
> and numerous other packages.  Have a look at what happened to
> Prothon.  What ultimately killed it was the problem of having
> a decent library.  You don't have to make the C library
> compatibility totally high performance, but having any form of
> it there will make adoption by others easier.

There are two kinds of C modules: those that do have a knowledge
of the C API (like sre, tkinter, etc) and those that are just C/C++
libraries which are simply wrapped as modules.  For the latter there
are two solutions besides adding a wrapper which makes pyvm appear
as libpython:
	- an advanced ctypes module which will make dlopening libraries
	and wrapping their symbols behind python functions, a matter of
	python code.  I'm considering this approach to provide things
	like 'raw_input'.
	- hacking SWIG.  Shouldn't be too hard and will instantly give
	us access to wx, qt, etc.

The thing is that the C API of pyvm is IMHO superior and much more fun.
You can wrap the entire sockets module in a couple of hours and also
enjoy it.  I wish I could clone myself to port the entire std library
to pyvm -- so much fun it is:)

thanks,

Stelios