pyvm -- faster python

Paul Rubin http
Thu May 12 17:51:57 EDT 2005

Rocco Moretti <roccomoretti at hotpop.com> writes:
> Python, as a procedural language, makes extensive use of globals &
> mutable variables....  IIUC, in Lisp, as a functional language, "all
> politics is local."  Global-like variables are much rarer, and
> mutability is severely limited.

Some people write Lisp code in a functional style, but not everyone.
Lisp provides mutable objects as much as Python does--maybe more,
for example, Lisp strings are mutable.  Overall I'd say there's not
much difference between Lisp and Python in this regard.  Lisp lets
the programmer supply static type declarations that the compiler
can use, but those are optional.  When you use them, you get faster
output code.