Parsing XML - Newbie help

Dan M lists.munckfish at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun May 22 11:01:26 EDT 2005

Hi

rh0dium wrote:
> I am relatively new to python and certainly new to XML parsing.

Me too. However there are plenty of good docs/tutorials available to
help with both XML and using it in Python.

For XML you may wish to look at http://www.w3schools.com/. It has a very
accessible set of tutorials on XML and related technologies, which I
find make it very quick to get up and running. For what you are trying
to do you may wish to look at XPath, or ideally XQuery although I'm not
sure there is an XQuery implementation in Python.

For Python and XML there is Mark Pilgrim's excellent chapter on Parsing
XML with xml.dom.minidom
(http://diveintopython.org/xml_processing/index.html).

The is also the PyXML project at Sourceforge
(http://pyxml.sourceforge.net/). A list of useful links is maintained
there (http://pyxml.sourceforge.net/topics/).

You may also wish to investigate resources at the Python XML SIG page
(http://www.python.org/sigs/xml-sig/).

These are just some of the sources of information I am using. Hope this
helps.

Cheers

Dan