pyvm -- faster python

Paul Rubin http
Wed May 11 00:25:21 EDT 2005

"Roger Binns" <rogerb at rogerbinns.com> writes:
> Err, you proved my point!  Prothon was fine at the VM level.  The
> author couldn't figure out how to get a decent sized "standard"
> library, and ultimately ended up abandoning his VM for .Net since
> that gets you a large standard library.  Jython also gets a large
> standard library from the Java ones.

What kind of stuff is in the existing Python C library that couldn't
be reimplemented or retargeted pretty easily?  Most of it is either
wrappers for standard C functions (system calls), stuff that shouldn't
be in C in the first place (the Python compiler and interpreter), etc.

I hope that PyPy will replace CPython once it's solid enough.  Trying
to stay backwards compatible with the legacy C API doesn't seem to me
to be that important a goal.  Redoing the library may take more work
than the Prothon guy was willing to do for Prothon, but PyPy has more
community interest and maybe can attract more resources.