Gordon McMillan installer and Python 2.4

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Mar 3 18:22:59 EST 2005

Richie Hindle wrote:
> [Svein]
>
>>According to the command line help for cx_Freeze and py2exe, they
>>cannot pack my program with additional installation files into one
>>self-extracting .exe file (which is what I want to do).
>
> [Peter]
>
>>On the other hand, there are readily available utilities that
>>will do what you are asking for, independent of Python and py2exe
>>and everything else.  Standalone single-file packagers.
>
> InnoSetup is the most popular free single-file-installer generator for
> Windows.  NSIS is probably second.

I'm not sure now, but I *think* the OP actually wanted one
of those beasties which will literally *run* from a single
EXE file, not just install from one in the usual way.

The only ones of which I'm aware are usually called something
like "self-executing zip files" and they -- invisibly to the
user -- will temporarily extract themselves into a temporary
folder, run the main exe, and then (optionally) clean up
completely after the application exits, removing all temporary
files.

-Peter