Our Luxurious, Rubinesque, Python 2.4

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Thu Mar 31 21:03:06 EST 2005

I finally got 'round to installing Python 2.4.  I'm planning on using
Python for downloadable software, where every kilobyte counts and
smaller is definitely better.  Imagine my surprise when I looked up
python24.dll and found SWEET JUMPING CHRISTMAS it's ballooned up to
1.8MB!

This isn't a deal-killer outright.  But python23.dll is 1.0MB, svelte
by comparison.

Can someone tell me what made it 80% larger?  Also, how much would I be
able to trim away if I recompiled it myself?  Is a lot of it native
implementations of Python libraries that I might not care about
including, or is it all fundamental VM stuff that couldn't possibly be
removed?

Thanks,

/larry/